Closed until further notice
This morning, 23 March 2020, our Chairman Rosalind Morgan and our Operations Manager Des have spoken and the decision has been made to close our doors starting today.
As of this morning, 45 of our 80 students have chosen to self-isolate.
We have identified students who we are particularly concerned about, who don’t live in care homes or supported living, and are finding out who needs to know at adult social care.
We have set up a system where we will be checking in on our ‘students’ on a regular basis using social media and phoning.
We have put together activity packs which we will be distributing to our students as an alternative service.
Staff will be sending out activities to their students and keeping in touch.
Staff will be working from home or at times at work by limiting access and by prior arrangement with me. This is a great opportunity to plan for September 2020. If you wish to contact a member of staff you can find their email via our website here.
Looking at developments and guidance over the weekend I feel that we cannot safely operate services without putting our staff, students and volunteers at risk.
The main concerns being:
- We now have reduced staff/volunteers to man services.
- Most of our service users have significant underlying health concerns.
- Our workshops are quite small with close working (making social distancing difficult) and we are having to wipe down all tools, pens, pencils etc and surfaces every day.
- Our cleaners have stopped their service.
- Some staff/volunteers have family who are key workers and feel that are putting the NHS system at risk by being at work.
- Some staff/volunteers/students are either vulnerable themselves or live with people who are vulnerable.
- Travel to and from homes to services is increasing the risk of spreading the virus.
Norfolk County Council have officially now closed all day services from today, I’ve asked Cambridgeshire County if they will be taking a similar decision soon.
Through these difficult times it is important to stay positive and stay in touch. If you use social media make sure you like and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram! If any of you need to speak to someone or just need a chat please keep in touch with us via our emails which you can find here.
The important thing right now is that everyone takes care and keeps safe. We are sure we will see you all very soon.
Best wishes, take care and keep in touch,